Cystic neuroblastoma in an infant: A case report
AbstractNeuroblastoma is a neoplasm of the peripheral sympathetic nervous system. Depending upon the primary location of the tumor, it can present as incidental finding, hypertension, abdominal pain, and distention with nonspecific clinical signs. Our patient was four-months-old when he developed excessive crying, increased frequency of micturition, and loose bowel movements. On CT scan, a cystic mass was found in the left suprarenal region and was surgically removed. Immunohistochemistry of the mass confirmed the diagnosis of cystic neuroblastoma. The outcome was good after surgical excision and chemotherapy. Early diagnosis and management of cystic neuroblastoma will result in a good outcome.
2. Rich BS, La Quaglia MP. Neuroblastoma [Internet]. Pediatric Surgery. 2012. p. 441–58.
3. Özgül E. Magnetic Resonance Imaging Findings of Bilateral Cystic Neuroblastoma: Case Report of a Very Rare Entity. Cureus [Internet]. 2020 Feb 22;12(2):e7073.
4. London WB, Castleberry RP, Matthay KK, Look AT, Seeger RC, Shimada H, Thorner P, Garrett B, Maris JM, Reynolds CP, Cohn SL. Evidence for an age cut-off greater than 365 days for neuroblastoma risk group stratification in the Children’s Oncology Group (COG) [Internet]. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2005. p. 8500–8500.
5. Vo KT, Matthay KK, Neuhaus J, London WB, Hero B, Ambros PF, Nakagawara A, Miniati D, Wheeler K, Pearson ADJ, Cohn SL, DuBois SG. Clinical, Biologic, and Prognostic Differences on the Basis of Primary Tumor Site in Neuroblastoma: A Report From the International Neuroblastoma Risk Group Project [Internet]. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2014. p. 3169–76.
6. Dumba M, Jawad N, McHugh K. Neuroblastoma and nephroblastoma: a radiological review [Internet]. Cancer Imaging. 2015.
7. Curtis MR, Mooney DP, Vaccaro TJ, Williams JC, Cendron M, Shorter NA, Sargent SK. Prenatal ultrasound characterization of the suprarenal mass: distinction between neuroblastoma and subdiaphragmatic extralobar pulmonary sequestration. J Ultrasound Med [Internet]. 1997 Feb;16(2):75–83.
8. Castleberry RP. Neuroblastoma. Eur J Cancer [Internet]. 1997 Aug;33(9):1430–7; discussion 1437–8.
9. Alexander A, Weber B, Lorenzo A, Keays M, El-Ghazaly T, Bägli DJ, Pippi Salle JL, Irwin M, Farhat W. Hydronephrosis in children with abdominal and pelvic neoplasms: outcome and survival analysis of a single center pediatric oncology series. J Urol [Internet]. 2011 Oct;186(4 Suppl):1705–1709.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Copyright and Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.
JSSN applies the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license to all works we publish. Under the CC BY license, authors retain ownership of the copyright for their article, but authors allow anyone to download, reuse, reprint, distribute, and/or copy articles in JSSN, so long as the original authors and source are cited. No permission is required from the authors or the publishers.
Article by JSSN is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at http://www.jssn.org.np/index.php?journal=jssn.